“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ~ Joseph Campbell. Today is the Aquarius New Moon in the U.S. (4:08 PM PST). This new cycle will bring a feeling of optimism and idealism, encouraging us to connect with our friends and community (online and IRL); embrace novel ideas and progressive thinking; retain our individualism while working with groups; and fly our freak flag! 🙂 If you like to work with Earth and Universal energies, the New Moon is a fab time for fresh starts. The best time to work for new beginnings is either within six hours before or after the exact time of the Sun/Moon conjunction. Bonus: when you align your magickal/spiritual goals with the energy of Aquarius, the Universe infuses your intention/spell/prayer with more mojo. Intensify your focus with these Aquarian-related themes:
- personal freedom and expression
- humanitarian efforts
- community projects
- technology, the internet, social media
- open-mindedness, flexibility, objectivity
- working with groups, teams, friends, or social acquaintances
- your deepest desires
After choosing your intention, go to a quiet space and get into an alpha brain wave state. If you aren’t familiar with the alpha state, here’s a quick overview: Brain waves are synchronized electrical pulses from neurons communicating with each other, and can be detected using medical equipment like an EEG. Brain waves are divided into 5 bandwidths, each producing a different state of human consciousness. Our brain waves change throughout the day and are influenced by what we’re doing, thinking, and feeling. Your brain creates Alpha waves (8 to 12 Hz) when you’re daydreaming, watching TV, praying, and meditating. Sometimes it can happen while working on hobbies, walking, creating art, and doing yoga. Alpha states can access the subconscious to make changes in the conscious mind. Here’s an easy wikihow-to enter an alpha state (with pictures).
Ok, now starting from an alpha state, visualize your intention as vividly and with as much detail as you can imagine. Most importantly, feel the emotions of what it is like to have your spiritual work manifested. Feel the success, imagine yourself with the intention fulfilled and how great it feels to live this new way. Circle the date of August 7 (the corresponding Aquarius Full Moon) to evaluate how your manifestations materialized.
There are two other big astro aspects happening around the New Moon: Venus in Pisces squares Saturn in Sagittarius, and Mars enters Aries. The square is the first of several difficult aspects between Venus and Saturn this year, testing relationships, business/financial ventures, and self-worth. There will be challenges in all of these areas, but the good news is we’ll discover what we really want and whether it’s sustainable for the long haul. Mars in Aries will energize us, bring out our competitive spirit, and make us feel spontaneous, impulsive, and a bit impatient. This red-hot high-energy will stay with us until March 9, and can sometimes overwhelm with its intensity. Find an outlet to release the steam and channel the warrior spirit, preferably a physical one, otherwise egos and tempers might explode into a fiery clash.
January 28 begins the Chinese Year of the Fire Rooster, an energy that’s flamboyant, confident, motivated, and yes, cocky and pompous. If you were born in 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993 or 2005, you may be born under the sign of the Rooster. If your birthday is in January or February, you’ll have to double-check, because the Chinese New Year always starts around the Aquarius new moon, and that date changes annually. Check here for your Chinese Astrology Sign. Those born under the sign of the Rooster are loyal, trustworthy, and bluntly honest. In Chinese astrology, each zodiac year is associated with an animal sign, and also with one of five elements: Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, or Earth. Both the zodiac sign and the element shape the “energy” of the year (that’s why an Earth Rooster year and person is different than a Fire Rooster one). So how do we make the most of this feisty fiery swaggering energy?
- Start by rising with the Sun, like the rooster, and engage in a healthy morning routine: meditate, exercise, journal, drink lemon water, make a smoothie (my previous post had some suggestions for healthy new year’s resolutions).
- Hard work, good habits, discipline and regular exercise will bring visible results with consistent practice. As Ben said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
- Create, create, create. Then send your creations out into the world for all to see.
- Break out the flamboyant fashions, big hair, sequins and feather boas. The Rooster likes to preen and strut and get noticed. Have fun (but avoid ego tripping 🙂
- Protect the chicks. Women’s rights are super relevant, and the Rooster always takes care of his hens (ahem, metaphorically speaking).
- Speaking of metaphors… the Rooster and his daily crows symbolize an “awakening” for the people. I am psyched for this!
- Security issues and safety will be of importance, but don’t let fear take you for a ride on the polarizing train of race/religion/politics/class/gender, or there will be some serious communication breakdowns.
As always, thank you for reading! Have an exciting New Moon cycle, and I hope this post was useful to you. Please feel free to share, xoxo! ~ Amy